Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Day on the Town

One of the gestures in Ethiopia is the way people say yes.  They do a quick lift of the chin, or upward nod, along with a raising of the eyebrows.  At times Anna is a little shy and she says yes with just the slightest raising of the eyebrows.  Another gesture among the youth is to turn their head to the side and shrug the shoulder to which they turn their head.  I think the appropriate translation for this is "whatever."  Anna does it beautifully and as she becomes more comfortable with us, she does it more often.  She is so cute when she gestures "whatever" that it is hard not to smile and laugh.

 

Today we went out on the town and did a little shopping.  After getting back to the guest house CrazyMom took out Anna's braids which were a little too tight for her.  It was a long process and Anna did great sitting still for it.  Well, she sat still for the first half of it and slept through the second half.

 

Tomorrow we are off on a small day trip up a mountain that overlooks Addis Ababa.

3 comments:

jody said...

i just love that picture-too sweet

Thankfulmom said...

I don't know if you are reading comments, but I wanted to tell you how great it is to read along on your journey and to see photos of Anna. What a sweet blessing she is! Keep writing! I can't wait to hear more.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Your little one is so beautiful. My husband and I going to start the Ethiopian adoption process. Not only do Ethiopians do "the nod" but older AA's do it here in the US. I asked some other POC like my Latina friend if they have "the nod" and she didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe I'll ask my native friend.

Also nice to see you doing hair,b/c you know how black women feel about getting their hair "did".
Blessings for you and your family.