Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I am the Filthy Rich

In America we often speak of the lower class, the middle class, and the upper class. Then there are the filthy rich. I can hardly imagine what it must be like to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet and to have your net worth measured in billions. While the lifestyle may be foreign to me, I do know who they are and as I stretch out my hand to point my finger at one of the filthy rich, God stops me short and reminds me of the three fingers pointing back at me.

I am the filthy rich. I live that unimaginable lifestyle.

  • There is never a question of whether or not we will have enough food to eat in my home, only whether we will eat until we are full or stuffed.
  • There is never a question about whether or not we will have clothes to wear, just which ones we will select from our overstuffed closets.
  • There is never a question about whether or not our kids will have a clean, soft, dry bed to sleep in, just whether or not it will be made when they crawl in.
  • There is never a question about whether or not we will have outstanding medical care, just whether we will to go to the doctor, the urgent care center, or a hospital.
  • There is never a question about whether or not our family will have access to the finest prescription drugs in the world, just whether we will fill the prescription at Giant Eagle, Meijer, Kroger, or CVS - all of which are within a mile of our home.
  • There is never a question about whether our family will be homeless, even if our home were to burn to the ground today, only how long we would be in temporary housing.
  • There is never a question about whether or not there would be anybody in the world to care for our kids if my wife and I were to die tonight, only which family and friends from our vast support network would step in to care for them.
  • There is never a question about whether or not our kids will get a good education, just whether it will be public, private, or home school.
  • There is never a question about whether or not we will have clean water to drink, only whether we should get a drink from the refrigerator, water cooler, any number of faucets in the house, or one of two hoses from outside. In fact, I have water sitting in the toilet bowls of my home right now that is safer to drink than what many in the world will be drinking today.

What I have is unimaginable to many in the world. I am the filthy rich, flooded with the world's goods.

And I am cut to the quick by God's word. I John 3:17-18 says, "But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth."

2 comments:

bethany m. said...

amen.

Anonymous said...

You helped me in a very important decision we have to make. Thanks.