Monday, February 5, 2007

F.G.'s Diary


(Editor's note: Our oldest daughter wrote a fictional diary today from the perspective of F.G.)

F.G.'S DIARY
by Miss Bookworm


January 14, 2006

It is about 2:00 p.m. I am waiting to be interviewed by a person from America. I am being interviewed so people in America can see if they want to adopt me. I am up next. The person asks me to sing a song, to count, say my name, and say "Hello America!" Then she gave me a stuffed animal. Now it is time to go home. I live with my parents and my older sisters. I hope I can be adopted!

July 2, 2006

Today I found out I am being adopted! I am so excited! I am also very sad. This means that I will have to leave my parents and sisters. But I am also very lucky. Not everybody gets to be adopted and I will be in a better place. Some Americans called the Meyers are adopting me. They sound so nice and yet I really don't want to leave my family especially since both my parents are very sick, but I guess it's for the best. All the same, I can't wait to meet the Meyers!

August 4, 2006

I went back to the person from America today. The Meyers have sent me a bag of stuff. They sent me a shirt, markers and a notebook, bubble gum, a doll, and a photo album with pictures of the family, the house, and another Ethiopian boy! One picture of the house had white stuff on it. The lady told me that the white stuff was called snow. The Ethiopian boy's name is K.D. He is going to be my new brother also! I got to meet him today! He got a bag full of stuff too. This is a day I will never forget!

January 21, 2007

Some people came to my house today and took me to an orphanage which was in the capital city and was a whole day's drive. I think they moved K.D. to the orphanage too but I haven't seen him yet. I am going to miss my family very much. I wonder if K.D. has any family living still. I think he has to have at least one person because he was living in a house but it could have just been a neighbor. I wonder what American food tastes like.

January 27, 2007

Now I know that K.D. is here. I've seen him a couple of times. The food here is pretty good but there's nothing like homemade injera and doro wat. In the rooms we stay in there are beds and chairs and a table even though we eat our meals in a big room. There are about five kids to a room. There's a boy section and a girl section. The people in the orphanage are very nice to us but I still miss my family. I'm glad K.D. is here. At least I have one family member here and a very kind and considerate one at that!

February 13, 2007

My new parents are coming in a week! My new American siblings are staying at home until my new parents come back with K.D. and me. I wonder who they are staying with while my new parents come to get us. I am so excited and sad. It feels like my emotions are playing a long game of tug-o-war in my heart. I can't wait until they get here!

February 20, 2007

My new parents came to the orphanage today! They got K.D. and me and took us to a missionary home. We are going to leave in about five days. Then I will get to see my new brothers and sisters. All the same, I am glad K.D. is here. I am glad I can talk in my own language to him. I learned that he has a dad who is still alive but is sick like my mom. My dad died about six months ago. At this point, I think excitement is beating sadness in tug-o-war. I am so happy!

February 25, 2007

Right now we are on a plane headed to Ohio which is where the Meyers live. The plane is so high up! It is very pretty up here. I have never been on a plane before. It is a long trip and I am getting bored. I think K.D. is too. My new parents brought lots of coats because they said it was really cold in Ohio right now. We are only a half an hour away and I feel like dancing! I am getting hyper. Watch out Mom and Dad here I come!

Afternoon

We have finally arrived! We are at our new home. Man this place is huge! Some old people are here. I guess that's who was taking care of our new siblings who are, at the moment, crowding around us. I can see they are almost as excited as we are if not as excited! The old people are excited too. I learn that the old people are our new grandparents. I have never seen anybody so old! Almost everybody in Ethiopia dies before they get this old. I am so happy that we have finally arrived!

March 5, 2007

Mom and Dad are going to home school us for a while so we can learn the language and stuff like that. I think this is going to be fun!

March 11, 2007

Home school is going well. But the exciting thing is that today we went to the store! Never in my life have I seen so much food and clothes! I think I am going to like it here in America!

9 comments:

brentandkris said...

Okay, that was really fun!
Kris

brentandkris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CrazyD said...

Oops! Sorry, Kris. I saw that you accidentally posted the same comment twice, so I decided to delete one of them thinking that it would just go away. Instead, the blog leaves a msg that I have deleted your comment, making it look like you said something inappropriate. That is kind of funny because we all know you would NEVER say anything inappropriate, especially in public! :-)

brentandkris said...

I am glad that you have noticed my highly developed frontal lobe editing system!
Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I......
SEE! It works!
Kris

angybabi said...

Hi there, I stumbled across your page from following links from other blogs that I read.
I just felt that I had to comment, your little Miss Bookworm is an absolute delight by the sounds of things. What an intelligent, insightful and beautiful little girl you have!
I've really enjoyed reading about your adoption journey too. I was recently widowed and I feel drawn towards adoption myself. (in the VERY distant future). I think you have done a wonderful thing.
Angela

CrazyD said...

Thanks so much for the kind words about Miss Bookworm. She will be thrilled that someone enjoyed her post!

Your personal strength is evident as you contemplate reaching out to others when you have suffered such a loss.

I wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this was mentioned in one of the other posts, but did F.G. live with her parents before you adopted her? One of your daugther's entries seems to imply that she lived with her immediate family.

CrazyD said...

I have not spoken specifically about the background of F.G. and K.D. It seems more comfortable at this point to publicly share general reasons why kids are placed for adoption. There are many double orphans in Ethiopia (lost both parents) and even more single orphans (lost one parent). In America, while single parenting has its challenges, it is possible. In Ethiopia, single parenting is not possible for many. Life is just too difficult. I highly recommend reading "There Is No Me Without You" by Greene which sheds light on the orphan situation in Ethiopia.

Faithful Delight said...

I just read this post. I must say Miss Bookworm, you can write really well. I'm impressed! Keep up the writing, I could see you going far with that talent.

Faye