Monday, October 8, 2012

The Building of a Skewer

“CrazyD, we need skewers to cook the hotdogs with tonight,” CrazyMom was telling me.  We were having a cookout with the neighbors that evening and cookouts are evidently just not the same if you have to boil the hotdogs in a pot.

Well, there aren’t any Home Depots here in Kijabe, Kenya, so I did the next best thing.

“Buddy!” I yelled.  When Buddy arrived on the scene I said, “Buddy, we need skewers to cook the hotdogs with tonight.”

We all bring different skills to our family and mine is delegation.

Buddy went off and came back in a little bit with three fine green sticks neatly stripped of their bark.  He then got three old forks from CrazyMom and flattened them with a hammer, split the ends of the sticks with a panga (think machete), and shoved the handle of the forks into the sticks.

In order to secure the forks into the sticks we needed some wire, which we did not have.  Buddy scrounged around and found a piece of wire screen behind the shed and whipped out his Leatherman to pull off individual wires from the screen.

I helped to drill holes through the stick and fork so he could put the wire through to secure the forks.


Here is one of the first class skewers. 


They worked great, as you can see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! Maybe you can sell your new invention. From, Luke B.

Mama D’s Dozen said...

LOVE it!

I think I might just need to show this tutorial to my boys and their daddy with the drill.


:) :) :)