Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Power and Showers

In my first few days here at RVA I was standing in the shower on a chilly morning relishing in the luxury of a hot shower.  One of my new friends in Africa is the instant hot water heater showerhead in our shower.

All of a sudden it goes dark in the bathroom and I thought, “Oh, the power went out.”  My immediate next thought was, “OH, THE POWER WENT OUT!!!”  as I came to a deeper understanding of how “instant hot water” means instant on . . . and instant off.

I jumped out of the shower and fumbled around in the dark to get the cold water to stop.  Now a shivering soapy mess, I stood there for a few seconds wondering what to do next.

The home of Mr. Generator
Then I heard it.  The distant rumble of my new best friend – a ginormous diesel generator that automatically starts its engine about 30 seconds after the power goes out.  Once it fires up, it takes about a minute for it to go live and restore power to campus.

So after another minute of shivering, the lights came back on and I was able to have a hot shower after all.  How wonderful it is to live in a place with good friends.

2 comments:

ohio12 said...

She is amazing. Not sure if you remember us, but we were at Linworth with you years ago. "Crazy Mom" was an inspiration to me then when she "only" had 4 kids and lived in the US. I have been following your adoption story and move on the blog. I thought that since you were teaching at the school, you might get to eat at its cafeteria and she wouldn't have to cook so much. May God continue to richly bless your family.

ohio12 said...

She is amazing. Not sure if you remember us, but we were at Linworth with you years ago. "Crazy Mom" was an inspiration to me then when she "only" had 4 kids and lived in the US. I have been following your adoption story and move on the blog. I thought that since you were teaching at the school, you might get to eat at its cafeteria and she wouldn't have to cook so much. May God continue to richly bless your family.