Tuesday, October 9, 2012

CrazyMom’s Cooking

CrazyMom with her curds and whey
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

Mother Goose told me this rhyme as a child, but it was not until just the other day that I learned what curds and whey were.  CrazyMom is planning on making some lasagna later this week, so yesterday she made curds – better known as cottage cheese.  Who knew that you just had to heat milk to 190 degrees, pour in some vinegar and voila, the milk separates into curds and whey.

I heard that the whey had the non-curding proteins and was good to use in soup and the like, so Buddy and I drank a little whey.  All of you savvy cooks out there are chuckling because you already know that it tastes like nasty vinegar water.

Cottage cheese is not the only new thing that I have seen CrazyMom whipping up in the kitchen.  She has made sour cream, turned pork into sausage, made syrup for our pancakes, and made a chocolate sauce that I call “magic sauce” because it magically turns slightly sour milk into chocolate milk that the kids love.

Of course, there is the standard stuff that you would expect as well.  This includes any bread product we eat from loaves of bread all the way down to croutons as well as pancake mix, salad dressings, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and many other things that would be far easier to simply pick up at your local American grocery store.

I admit that I feared losing weight when we moved here to Africa, which is a bit scary for me given my height to weight ratio, but I have not lost a pound due to the wonderful cooking of CrazyMom.  

3 comments:

tntmace said...

Necessity is the mother of invention! It is amazing what you are doing!!! I bet the internet is an incredible source of shortcuts and help in cooking. Here are two really awesome sites that use alot of ingredients that are flexible: http://virtualcities.com/ons/on/o/onoca011.htm and http://vegweb.com/recipes/chana-masala-0

Mama D’s Dozen said...

Great job, Crazy Mom!

I did not know what Curds & Whey were, nor how was it is to make your own cottage cheese. Quite interesting, actually.


Laurel
mama of 12 (ages 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 22, 23, 23, 25, 27, 28)

CrazyMom said...

Thanks for the links, Tanya! Yes, I have been amazed at finding everything I need to know about cooking on the internet. There is nothing new under the sun. . .