Saturday, February 14, 2009

Real World Math: Biblical Equations and Downed Trees

The other day I was sitting in a small group with some college students answering questions about the book of James. Being more inclined towards math than English, we started discussing which mathematical expression best answered the questions.

“What does James 1:19 tell us about the relationship between listening and speaking?”
Note: James 1:19 says, “This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.”

Our group debated the merits of:

Listening > Speaking (We should definitely listen more than we speak.)
Listening = 2 x Speaking (God gave us two ears and one mouth.)
Listening >> Speaking (Maybe our listening should be much greater than our speaking.)

Then on Thursday CrazyMom called me at work to let me know two trees fell over in the yard. The thought I had was:

high winds + soggy soil + evergreens = lots of work staking up trees



When I got home, GrandpaR and I walked out to survey the situation.

“We ought to just get out the chain saw,” GrandpaR said.

“Yeah, probably,” I replied.

But we spent the next hour trying to set the trees back up and stake them. Surveying the pathetic results on the first tree, I headed for the garage to get the chain saw. Turns out the real math equation was:

high winds + soggy soil + evergreens = firewood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic