Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Night without Me

“Blah blah blah,” was all CrazyMom was hearing, I am sure. I had been gone all day and did not get home until 10pm after a day of school and parent conferences. When I arrived home, I found CrazyMom lying on the floor in front of the gas fireplace with a stuffed tiger for a pillow, a green blanket, and a book.

I was still a little fired up from my day and had no trouble filling the airwaves. CrazyMom patiently laid her book on her chest as she listened for awhile.

“I got three haircuts done after dinner,” she finally interjected.

“Great!” I replied and then started back in with my captivating stories – “blah blah blah.”

“I also was able to get quizzing practice done with both Ed and Buddy before dinner,” she said interrupting again.

Abrupt topic changes don’t faze me since they happen all of the time. CrazyMom will even say, “Did you know she just brought home another child?” referring to some online friend of hers where the “she” is a completely different “she” from the last sentence she said to me.

Undaunted, I moved from stories about parent conferences to how I solved a software glitch with a robot the robotics club had built.

“Not only did I get quizzing practice done, I also read with F.G. before I had to cook dinner,” said CrazyMom.

“Hmmm. Seems like you got a lot done tonight.”

“Yeah. It was like I had all of this extra time.”

Finally, the dam broke and a wave of understanding washed over me.

“Oh, I see. You had all of this extra time because I wasn’t home,” I said feeling a little dejected.

“Well, it was interesting to observe how much more time I had this evening without you,” she said as she laughed and smiled.

Now it may be true that CrazyMom had more time that evening, but I am sure it is clear to all of us that it was not nearly as exciting without me around.

No comments: