Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And the numbness fades away . . .

Life is finally settling back down to our normal crazy busy schedule. I like crazy busy. I may be running all of the time, but I can still get all of the important stuff done. I don't like super crazy busy. Super crazy busy is when I am standing in a hallway at work later than I should be with CrazyMom on the cell phone reminding me that I am missing dinner with the family, with someone at the end of the hall waiting to meet with me, and with my own stuff not done. I stand there with a knot in my stomach knowing that it is my privilege today to be a second rate father, a second rate husband, and a second rate employee.

But then Dory from Finding Nemo reminds me what to do. "Just keep swimming."

So I swim, stuff gets done, life improves and the numbness fades away . . .

But in the end I am not sure that it is the busyness of my schedule that leads me into or out of numbness. Rather it seems that is has to do with whether or not I am nurturing my relationship with God who brings my soul to life. When life gets super crazy busy my natural instinct is to burn the candle at both ends to get it all done rather than to rest in God. Maybe next time I will remember that which I have learned so many times in the past.

It is vain for you to rise up early,
To retire late,
To eat the bread of painful labors;
For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.
(Psalm 127:2, NASB)

1 comment:

Dave and Rae said...

The Psalm you gave was like water to my soul...
As a fellow adoptive parent, I thought to write and tell you about the new guest home in Ethiopia specifically for adoptive parents and volunteer groups for the benefit of orphans in Ethiopia. Now that it is up and running, we would love to share the vision with other adoptive parents. You can see more at http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com.

If you would like to post a link, send me an email at dave@ethiopiaguesthome.com and I’ll forward you the information.

Blessings,

Dave McIlrath, MA
Orphan Advocate
Ethiopia Guest Home
More Than a Place to Stay
www.ethiopiaguesthome.com