Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Best Wife I’ve Ever Had

CrazyMom is by far the best wife I’ve ever had. Unfortunately, this compliment is lost on her. She is so quick to point out that she is the only wife I have ever had and then she acts all put off and stuff.

Now, this brings up something I just don’t get about women. Women have this intuition thing going that is almost like omniscience. One time I brought a poinsettia into the house and presented it to CrazyMom. “Who gave you that?” she asked. “I got it for you,” I replied. “No really, who gave you that?” she asked again. How did she know that someone at work just gave it to me? I just don’t get how women can do this.

But how can CrazyMom intuitively know everything except that when I say, “You are the best wife I’ve ever had” that I am really complimenting her because of something she just did. I guess women have selective intuition. It must be something like when CrazyMom says I have selective hearing.

Today’s reason that CrazyMom is the best wife I’ve ever had is because of this. I left directly from church to go work at a rental trying to get it ready to rent while CrazyMom took the crew of seven kids home to feed them lunch. While I was chain sawing limbs, painting, and building screen frames CrazyMom was playing soccer in the yard with the kids. I got home 15 minutes before I had to leave again to take two kids to get their team soccer photos taken. Deciding a hot shower would be more rewarding than supper, I headed upstairs. As I was finishing getting dressed, CrazyMom came in the bathroom with a plate of food which I ate as I walked downstairs to get the keys. I grabbed the keys and as I was walking out the door CrazyMom handed me a glass of lemonade to drink on the way. When I emerged from the house I saw both kids dressed in their uniforms standing by the car waiting for me.

I thought, “Man, CrazyMom is the best wife I’ve ever had.”

P.S. On a different note – I should say something about how dumb-smart I am. There was a split tree at the rental and standing on the back of the truck I could not reach quite high enough. So I cut off what I could, but there were still several feet of this good-sized limb hanging from the tree. If I was dumb, I would have just left it hanging there and in a year or two it would have fallen on somebody or something. If I was smart, I would have brought a ladder back with me next time I came to the rental and cut it down. Since I am dumb-smart, I figured if I backed my truck up just right, I could stand on the roof and hold the chainsaw over my head with my left hand while pushing the hanging piece of limb with my right hand so that when it fell it would not land on the truck. It worked great – I did not fall, I did not cut myself, and the limb did not land on the truck. Oh, one more thing. When the one end of the limb fell onto the ground the other end then hit the side of the truck and put a big dent in the door. Now that is what I call dumb-smart.

P.S.S. While I was writing this post, CrazyMom brought me some warm homemade apple crisp with milk poured over it – just like I like it. I’m telling you, she is the best wife I’ve ever had!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As my hubby of 23 years would say, "She sounds like a keeper." I'm feeling especially grateful to my "best-only" spouse right now because he just built me a chicken coop and we put our 8 chicks in there last night. Fresh eggs in a few months! sdd in Wyo

Carissa said...

It's good to have you back (in the blog world). My husband and I so enjoy reading your posts, though I did just caution him to never go near the truck with a chainsaw...
Quick question: How is Anna? Is she in Kindergarten this year?
P.S. Our domestic adoption paperwork, etc. is complete and we are in the waiting phase...

CrazyD said...

Hi Carissa,

My wife was just saying that I needed to post about Anna. She is doing great. I will have to write something up on her soon.

Congrats on wrapping up the paperwork phase. Hopefully the waiting phase won't be too long.

CrazyD

Darcy said...

I just Love your posts, they make me smile!
I was surprised to see another post from someone in Wyoming. We also are in Wyoming. Have no chickens, but would love some.
Hello to sdd in Wyo from another Wyomingite!
I too have a keeper of a hubbie and plan on him being my "only!"
Keep up the great blogs CrazyD.

Ann said...

I love sayings like yours! Cute! And yes, she does sound like a super wife and you are great to see that!

The dent sounds like an expensive dumb-smart thing! My own "best husband I've ever had" was returning pop cans and backed up into a light pole. Most expensive pop can return ever!

I enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing!

CrazyD said...

Hi Ann,

Actually, the dent was not expensive at all - since I am not fixing it. The truck has crossed over that nebulous line and is now officially a "work truck". You know, these are the trucks that you see for sale in the paper with the description "Work truck. Runs good. $2500." This is great because I no longer have to fix anything on it!

CrazyD