Sunday, September 18, 2011

Impediments to Downsizing: Birthdays with CONCRETE

CrazyMom was explaining to me what we were giving to Little Foot for his birthday and the word CONCRETE came out of her mouth. She was saying something about a tether ball, an old tire, and CONCRETE, but it was hard for me to decipher what she was saying anymore. All I could think about was CONCRETE.

Nearly every hour of every day I am thinking about what we can get rid of. With a target date of July to move to Africa to teach there, I am obsessed with downsizing. Adding a tire filled with four 80lb bags of CONCRETE with a 10-foot pole sticking out of is obviously an impediment to downsizing.

“CONCRETE! How will I be able to get rid of this?" I thought. "I can’t throw it in the trash. Can I find a dump that will take tires? Will they still take the tire if it is filled with CONCRETE?” My head was swimming and I felt nauseous.

CrazyMom was able to calm me down, however. She reminded me that we still have a year of life with our children here in America. Birthdays will still come and we need to make them special for our kids.

She was right, of course. But still, I hope F.G.’s birthday in October does not involve any more CONCRETE.

Adding an eye bolt to the top of the pole.

Filling the tire with CONCRETE.

We duct tapped the pole to the basketball hoop and the truck to hold it in place while the CONCRETE set up.

Little Foot leaving his permanent legacy in the CONCRETE.

Playing tether ball!

4 comments:

The dB family said...

I'm sure when the time comes that someone would be happy to take it off your hands. After all it's a little more portable than if it were concrete in the ground. Happy Birthday, Little Foot!

Blessings!
Deborah

Christine said...

Wow! You are moving to Africa! I would love to find out more abot what sparked this deicision and what not. I could talk your head off with questions. If you find the time to email me, I would prefer to communicate that way. Can I add you to my blogroll? I sure hope you plan to blog in Africa!

CrazyD said...

Feel free to add us to your blogroll, Christine. Also, I will send you an email. I always love to talk about Africa. :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you still have it?