Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Minor Trailer Troubles – So Far

Setting off on a road trip with an RV is implicitly agreeing to have some troubles along the way. One just hopes that the troubles are minor and are not trip killers. On our shake down trip a few months ago the RV brakes failed, but I have had no trouble with them since getting them fixed. I have also been battling a leak in a joint going into the gas tank, which I filled with some gas-tank putty to no avail. Now I keep dosing the joint with some gas resistant sealant with some success.

Then tonight as we were setting up camp the jack on the front of the RV tightened up. I cranked a little harder and heard the some gears pop. After finding that a single spoke on one of the metal gears had broken off, I decided to remove the jack. Flipping it upside down, I poured motor oil into it to try to keep the rest of the system moving freely to take stress off of the damaged gear. I will find out tomorrow if I can crank up the RV to get it back on the van. I did not have the heart to try it tonight.

After cleaning up from the job, I thought that I ought to write a post about RV troubles. When I entered the RV to sit down to start in on the post, Crazy Mom had another repair waiting for me. A support bar had come off when she and Ed were trying to set it. It was an easy fix, but I have to admit that it makes be nervous about what all will break tomorrow.

UPDATE: I got the RV back on the van, but the jack failed in the process. I had to get a new jack . . . and stop by a car shop to grind a larger hole in the frame so it would fit.

1 comment:

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

I have had a few issues (some minor, one major) with my trailer on long road trips. Sadly, I was out with the kids alone, as hubby had to work. But, we survived.

Planning our next cross country trip, and it doesn't look like my now 18 year old son will be able to join us. I'm a little hesitant to do the trip with 14 y.o. daughter and 4 younger ones. Yikes! I need my men (hubby or older sons).

Hope you don't have any more problems.

Laurel :)