Monday, February 18, 2008

Home School and The Canon ST-E2

I recently acquired a Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2. This is a handy little device that lets you set your camera flash wherever you want and then it will wirelessly fire the flash when you take a picture. The other day I had the opportunity to attend The Big Crazy Family Home School rather than the school where I work due to a snow day. As the kids were learning reading, writing, and arithmetic, I was learning about my new flash gizmo. Here are a few shots from the day.

In this first photo of Miss Bookworm the flash is sitting off to the right on a desk aimed at the ceiling. In all of these photos, I had some tinfoil on the back of the flash so that while most of the light will bounce off of the ceiling, some of the light will hit the tinfoil and be thrown forward. Notice the lighting across Miss Bookworms face. Much, much better than the head on flash you get with the flash mounted on the camera.


In the next four photos with kids working at the school table, the flash is sitting on a nearby bookcase pointed at the ceiling. I was free just to roam around and shoot independent of the flash.






Above, Buddy is working on the computer and I set the flash on the counter in front of him, still largely pointing up. In the following shot I was holding the flash in my left hand pointed directly at the cat.



Since I have put the ST-E2 on my camera, I have not taken it off. In fact, I can't think of a time that I would mount my flash back on the camera.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you would be that excited about a computer gizmo, especially on a snow day!! Snow days are for pajamas!!

A fellow teacher,
Sherry C.

Anonymous said...

I saw your picture at the library today.

Lisa