Friday, February 8, 2008

Partners in Health

On Wednesday I had the opportunity to hear Dr. Paul Farmer speak. Dr. Farmer was a founder of Partners in Health. It was significant for me to see his life and how he has accomplished so much in helping improve the health of poor people around the world.

He shared many powerful thoughts during his talk, but I am going to pass along just two maps he brought to my attention from WorldMapper.org. In this first map, each country is drawn so that it's size shows the proportion of people from the ages of 15-49 who are HIV positive. If you look hard, you might be able to see Africa on the map.


In this next map of the world, each country is drawn showing the proportion of physicians working in the country. If you look hard, you might be able to see Africa on the map.

6 comments:

Kris Long said...

Now there is a powerful image to remember.

Thankfulmom said...

Thank you for sharing the maps. I have wanted to hear Paul Farmer speak ever since I read Mountains Beyond Mountains. Everyone should read that book - along with my favorite, There is No Me Without You. Those books can change your life.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

crazy jcn

shell said...

i JUST read mountians beyond mountains and loved it. thanks for sharing

Heidi Currier said...

I am in the middle of Mountains Beyond..., a copy that Kyle Tong gave me after the lecture. It is amazing. My daughter and son-in-law are waiting to hear that they are next on the list for their Ethiopian child - perhaps by early summer. Your blog has been fun for me to follow - thanks! heidi

Rhonda said...

Well said.