Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"Are You Sisters?"

This is soccer camp week and our four older kids are participating, including F.G. F.G.'s other activities have all been with church groups where pretty much everybody knows that she is one of our adopted children. So in some sense, soccer camp is a debut for her.

Today when I went to pick up the kids, a boy came up and asked me if Ed and F.G. were sisters. I told him they were.

"See, I told you so," said Ed to the boy.

"Did you adopt her or something?" asked the boy.

"That is what I was trying to tell you. We adopted her from Ethiopia," Ed replied.

Due to her limited English, it is a little hard for me to tell how much F.G. understands as she sits there and watches Ed and the boy talk about her.

At the supper table tonight it came up again. As Ed started to tell the story, F.G. interrupted.

"This boy . . . He ask sisters . . . I say yes . . . he say no . . . go ask dad."

F.G. laughed and giggled. She thought it was pretty funny.

"He this one," she said as she pointed to her arm indicating he had brown skin.

This is the first time that I am aware of that F.G. has been asked if she really is a part of our family. It is hard to imagine how many times she will answer this question in her life, but at least for now she is laughing.

1 comment:

Brian (dad to 3) said...

We had our debut last weekend (mother, daughter in this case):
http://onthefly.wordpress.com/2007/05/28/five-events-of-the-weekend-in-no-particular-order/

It is certainly nice that it's simple for now.