Friday, June 3, 2011

Camping Memories

The launch to our trip was just as stressful as the "pre-camping memories" with the chainsaw and the blocked traffic.  When we set off, I quickly realized that the trailer brakes were not working.  Stopping on a hot blacktop parking lot, I tried to fix them, but to no avail.  Since we had sturdy brakes on the van, we decided to press on.  About every 20 minutes or so I would have another idea of what could be wrong with the brakes and I would pull over and try something else.  My roadside trouble shooting came to an end, however, when I shorted out the lights on the trailer.  I realized that if I did not stop trying to fix the brakes soon, I was likely to set the thing on fire - possibly on purpose.  Luckily we were close to the campsite by this point and were able to make it there safely.  A trip to Advanced Auto Parts and a new fuse #17 saved the day and the rest of the trip was great. 












5 comments:

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

Looks like you all had a LOT of fun.

How many people does your trailer sleep? I would love to move up from our tent trailer (which actually can sleep 9 of us), but haven't heard of a "real" trailer that sleeps a large family. Would LOVE to hear details about your trailer.

Laurel :)

CrazyD said...

Our trailer officially only sleeps 7, but there is enough room to put two more on the floor. There were even bigger travel trailers that had quad bunks in the back with a queen up front, but we did not want to haul such a big beast all around the country. I will let you know how this one works out when we go on our trip this summer.

Carissa said...

Love all the actions shots - especially at the pool.

Anonymous said...

I like it very much!

Eric said...

I think it is awesome you are sharing your LIFE stories on the web, we never know how our words may help another person. In fact we've created a site just about this called http://campingmemories.com Our hopes are similar, we'd like to invite you to share on our blog, were looking for tips to keep the children entertained, dutch oven recipes, favorite locations and so on.If it's related to camping, we are interested. So, please visit our blog, and share some of your trips with us.