I have see lush forests teeming with life and I have seen the smoke rising from charcoal burners illegally harvesting the forests and the dry expanse that follows.
| Lunch in the Masaai Mara |
I have seen lunch served to me on the glorious expanse of the Masaai Mara and I have seen chai served to me in homes where all of our knees touched when we sat down.
I have seen majestic sunsets from a remote island in Lake Victoria and I have seen unplanned roadside landfills where people just start dumping their trash.
| Sunset over Lake Victoria |
I have seen majestic vistas while reclining on a bed and I have seen bats flying in my room with rats scurrying about.
I have seen fields heavy with their harvest and I have seen the fine dust of a dry and weary land.
I have seen unwarranted generosity toward me from strangers and I have seen people I know steal from me.
| A home in the IDP camp. |
I have seen my students be robust as they move effortlessly between cultures and I have seen my students be fragile as they sojourn in a world where they have no place to call home.
I have seen people living a life of privilege and I have seen people living in squalor after being driven from their homes by violence.
I have seen things that have caused me to say, “Where is God? I don’t understand,” and I have seen the undeniable and mighty hand of God at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment