Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Momentarily Forgotten

“So, tell me about how you guys came to adopt,” a student asked me as I sat in the baby room of an orphanage (Amani Baby Cottage) in Jinja, Uganda.  I was on a student trip with 20 Rift Valley Academy students to Uganda and on the agenda for this morning was a visit to a local orphanage.

It had been a long time since I had hung out in an orphanage.  The heat, the smells, and the children at my feet brought back a flood of vivid memories and I had to excuse myself from the room as I was overcome with emotion.  Even living in Africa and serving at an MK school, I had somehow insulated myself for a few months from the plight of children around the world.  This morning was reminding me afresh of that plight and that I must keep it in the forefront of my mind.

Here are a few photos from the day.


Plenty of babies to go around.  Some of our group each holding a child.


 This is the main building of the orphanage which is new.  The second floor is still under construction.

 Miss Bookworm and a friend spending time with with a new arrival that was five days old.

 Most of the kids wanted to run and play.  This little guy found a friendly lap and just wanted to spend the whole time being held.

 Miss Bookworm giving wheelbarrow rides.

 I think you can spot who the trouble maker might be.  :-)  They take the shirts off of these boys when they sit down to eat and then put them back on when they are done.  A very wise move.


2 comments:

Jenn Nahrstadt said...

mark and sherri--i have 2 friends who have adopted from amani! i've also met and worked for katie davis' organization, amazima ministries.

am enjoying reading your story. your obedience to His call is beautiful.

CrazyD said...

Very cool. I was impressed with how clean and well run Amani was. I hope all is well for your friend.