Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It is STEEP here!

When Grandpa D and Grandma D were here over Christmas, I asked them what seemed different than what I have been portraying on the blog. The first thing they said was that they were surprised by how steep it is here.

To get an idea of the steepness, consider this part of the map of RVA. Notice that we live across the street from one of the playing fields here, which has been a lot of fun. But just because we are across the street does not mean that we are at the same elevation.


First term I helped to coach junior high boys’ soccer. When practice was over I would put on my backpack and walk over to the side of the field where there are stairs that lead up to the road.


After climbing these stairs, I would walk down the road to our driveway. Part way up our drive I would then ascend the stairs that lead up to our house.


Needless to say, I was tired by the time I got home from practice.

Here is a photo of the back of our house showing the wall that is keeping the mountain from overtaking us. It is STEEP here!

No comments: