Sunday, November 11, 2012

“Those of Us Who Do Not Have”

I was sitting in a community church service here in Kijabe, Kenya, when they took up an offering.  Upon completion, a man motioned for a woman on the worship team to offer up a prayer.  During her prayer she said something that touched me deeply.

“. . . for those of us who do not have, I pray that the next time you bless us you will remind us to give . . .”

I have been to many church services in my life, but nearly all of them have been in communities where the people were among the “haves” and not the “have nots.”  I had not heard such a prayer before nor have I experienced having nothing to give on a Sunday morning.  But now intermingled in our midst are “those who do not have” and I am just beginning to learn about what life is like for them.  May God grant me the eyes to see the needs around me and the wisdom to know how to share.

No comments: