Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Making Do

“Ouch!” Little Foot exclaimed.  “Mom’s laptop just shocked me.”

Not believing him, I reached over and touched it myself.  Sure enough, the metal casing was hot.  I had recently hooked up a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that is basically a big battery that keeps the computers on when the power flickers on and off.  I had noticed that there was no grounding pin when I installed it, but I did not have one, and I don’t have a car, and if I had a car I would not know where to drive to get one.  So I installed it without grounding the system and figured everything would be fine.

Obviously it wasn’t.

So I made do with the materials at hand – a paper clip.  When I went to “install” the paper clip, I unplugged the UPS from the wall because 220v still scares me.  As I was working the paper clip into place – and trying to simultaneously answer the phone – I yelped as 220v passed through my fingers.  It turns out that even if a UPS is not plugged in it can deliver 220v because it is, after all, a big battery designed to do just that.

By the way, the paper clip is working out great.

1 comment:

Mama Ds Dozen said...

Yikes! Glad you learned your lesson without serious injury.