Monday, January 30, 2012

Bagels in Africa

CrazyMom and I have a lot to do to prepare for the family move to Africa. When I got home from work today, I saw that CrazyMom had another checkmark done on her to-do list:

✓ Figure out how to have bagels for the family.



There cooling on the counter was a rack full of homemade bagels. The complicated process involved broiling, then boiling, and then some more baking. The results were great, however.

Now I just wonder if it will work in Africa when we are living at 7,500 feet . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was super craving bagels when I was living in Liberia and learned to make them too! Good job crazy mom :)
-m

Anonymous said...

You really can't get a bagel in Africa? I am sure when Oprah goes they have them. Maybe someone can ship some every once in awhile? I guess I just assumed you could get anything just about anywhere now a days if you could afford it..wow....who knew???

Is it something specific about bagels? Do they have bread and pastries,muffins, doughnuts? I just never knew. I guess it depends where you are staying also. A more touristy place I am sure would have bagels. I don't even eat bagels and this seems odd to me..LOL

CrazyD said...

Hi Anonymous - I am sure you can get bagels in Africa, but I don't think you can get them where we will be unless you drive 1.5 hours away to Nairobi. When I visited the school last, the people I stayed with loved English muffins. There was actually a lady in the area who knew how to make them and so she would make muffins for their family.

Unknown said...

I lived where you are going to be, and you can find Kenyan ladies who make bagels that are really good! You should be in luck! :)

Annie Chase :)