Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving Thoughts

[Note: This article was from our November newsletter that we sent out. I meant to post it at Thanksgiving, but I forgot. You can see the whole newsletter here.]

“But I want hot peppers without olives,” one of the kids complained as they surveyed the four different kinds of pizza CrazyMom had made for dinner. This provided a great opportunity to have the kids remember all of the times they had eaten pizza when there was only one option – and they were perfectly happy. “Somehow, having options breeds discontentment,” I was telling them. When our silly discontentment is brought to our attention, however, it is not that hard to make the shift to being thankful.

This is the essence of Thanksgiving for me – taking the time to set aside my silly discontentedness and refocus on what I have to be thankful for – a loving God, my family, clean water, health care, ample food, and a heated home as winter sets in.

And as often happens when we reflect anew on God’s goodness in our lives, our attention somehow shifts off of us and onto others. So as we all rejoice in Him this Thanksgiving, may God grant us renewed strength to minister to those He has brought our way in life.

1 comment:

The dB family said...

Amen!

Blessings!
Deborah