Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Joy of Big Family Games

“So what are some of the challenges of having a big family?” the woman on the other end of the phone was asking me. I was surprised that what flooded my mind was the good things about big family life. I stammered around and finally said, “Shoes. They are everywhere.”

Lame. I know.

But it made me wonder what the kids would say about what they did not like about big family life, so the next morning I asked them. They, too, had a similar response and started talking about the good stuff. Every one of them said the same thing for the best thing about having a big family.

So what is the best thing about big family life?

Playing games.

When I probed a little further, what I discovered was that it was not just being able to play any game, but games that require multiple kids – ball freeze tag, four square, dodge ball, soccer, and knockout. These are the types of games that many kids only get to play at recess but big family kids can play all night long.

So, when you are thinking about whether or not to adopt a child (or another child), just remember that the joy of big family games may just be a child away.

5 comments:

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

I am sure that if I were to ask my kids what one of the best thing about having 11 siblings is, the response would certainly be about playing games. We, too, are a serious game playing family: sports games, card games, board games. Yes, we LOVE playing games.

:) :) :)

Chrissy said...

Oh. my. word. SHOES!!! There has GOT to be a way to figure this out! I'm losing my mind! from where I sit... I see 9 pairs of shoes on the floor...scattered. AAAARRRGGHH!!!

Emily said...

Just looked up your blog from the Taylor magazine - I was excited to find another Taylor family who has adopted! We have adopted from Ethiopia too, as well as Uganda and the US. Such a blessing!

CrazyD said...

Hi Crissy - The number of shoes in our house is amazing. The other night I tripped over a pair and about blew my top - until I looked down and saw that they were mine . . .

CrazyD said...

Emily - Thanks for stopping by here. I just checked out your blog and loved the photos of your family. May the Lord bless you and your family.