Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Wish for You

(This was one of the "articles" from our Christmas letter. If you did not receive a copy and would like one, send me an email at welovebigfamilies@gmail.com and I will send you one.)

On a warm evening a few days before Thanksgiving the family and I headed outside to hang some Christmas lights. As dusk was giving way to darkness, I found myself up on a ladder hanging our wreath on a familiar hook, as I have done every year for the last eight years. “OK,” I called down to those on the ground, “plug it in.” As the wreath lights came to life bathing all that was around me in a warm glow, I was surprised by the wave of emotion that swept over me. It was the same feeling I get when crawling into my own bed after having traveled too far for too long. It was a sense of peace and rest. It was a sense of home.

That the glow of Christmas lights could bring forth such strong emotions stemming from a sea of countless memories of Christmas’s past should not have surprised me, I suppose. Christmas, with its blending of faith and family through rich traditions, embodies all of the same qualities that a sense of home does.

So as I go through this Christmas season looking for those moments of home amidst the hustle and bustle, I will be wishing that you would be able to find a sense of peace and rest this season. The theme of peace could be heard long ago when the angels declared to the shepherds in the field that night, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.” (Luke 2:14)

No comments: