Sunday, July 18, 2010

Our Anniversary

It was our anniversary the other night and CrazyMom and I went out for dinner.  I am inclined to say, "With as many kids as we have underfoot, it is good to get out of the house for some time alone," but that would not be honest.  Sure we have lots of kids, but they are not what keep CrazyMom and I from connecting.  If anything, their demands often bring us together - around the dinner table or around the campfire.  What keeps us from connecting is the to-do list.  So the more accurate statement is, "With as many things as I have on my to-do list, it is good to get out of the house for some time alone."

During my burn-the-to-do-list night, CrazyMom and I saw some wild things.  We went to an area where there were lots of restaurants and shops on a night when the weather was inviting people to be outside.  If you have ever seen one of those nature shows with exotic birds that do crazy calls and gestures in order to attract a mate, then you can imagine the scene.  Not only were many people dressed like they were looking for a mate, but when they were standing around talking to the people in their small groups their eyes were constantly scanning the crowds looking for that perfect person. 

There is no question that their methodology is fraught with peril - shorts that don't quite cover one's cheeks is not a good indicator of lasting love.  Yet I do hope they find the person for which they are looking.  As I sat there with my bride of 17 years, I know that I have and it has made all the difference in the world.

3 comments:

Innocent Observer said...

Happy Anniversary. If I recall correctly from last year, we were married on the exact same day. My husband and I spent our day wrangling children, just like every other day. The me of today would have really liked to go out to dinner alone with my spouse, but I suspect that the me from 17 years ago would have thought that chasing 6 kids would be a little slice of heaven, so I got exactly what I wished for.

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

Happy Anniversary! We will be celebrating our 28th next month. We never would have guessed that we would have a dozen children, on that night that we only had eyes for each other. :)

Be BLESSED!

Laurel :)

Andrea H. said...

Happy Belated Anniversary you too. That is so awesome. What a long time together.
Crazy Mom, I cannot believe I havn't emailed you back after you wrote me such a nice email. I will try really soon:(