Saturday, August 1, 2009

When Low Capacity Leads to High Capacity

For Mother’s Day, I got CrazyMom a copy of Mary Ostyn’s book A Sane Woman’s Guide to Raising a Large Family. Evidently one of the things that Mary promotes is a high-capacity front-load washer and dryer. This idea has resonated with CrazyMom, but it is important to point out that these are expensive items and that we already have a functioning washer and dryer.

On Friday morning CrazyMom was driving me to the doctor to have a medical procedure done that involved me getting knocked out for a short period of time. As we were cruising down the interstate, CrazyMom started to explain to me how she started a fund to save up for a high-capacity washer and dryer. I did a little calculation in my head and figured it would take her about a decade to save up enough money, which was great since in a decade half of our kids would be out of the house and we would no longer need them.

Late Friday afternoon I got a call on my cell from my doctor to see how I was doing. I told him that I was recuperating just fine, leaving out the fact that I was standing at a counter in an appliance store purchasing a high-capacity washer and dryer rather than resting at home.


On the way home from the store I was feeling surprisingly happy despite the amount of money that I had just spent to replace our functioning washer and dryer. Looking over at my beautiful bride I said, “Would you have ever thought this morning that we would have purchased these appliances today?”

CrazyMom smiled back. “No,” she said . . . and then she dropped the bomb . . . “especially since the anesthesiologist said that after going under you should not make any big purchases today.”

So that was it. I was operating at a low capacity which is why we ended up with a high-capacity washer and dryer. That CrazyMom is a crafty lady. At least she did not take full advantage of the situation. It is hard to believe, but I also wanted to get a new refrigerator while we were there. Luckily, CrazyMom talked me out of it.

7 comments:

Andrea H. said...

You go Crazy Mom for getting a front load washer. I too just got one although my machine died and was 20 years old. And I dared my husband to let me go to the laundrymat with working and taking care of 4 kids. Also go girl for getting hubby talked into it. Just make sure you get the warranty. I have heard many times now that they get cranky a lot.. Need to get a warranty myself.

Owlhaven said...

I hope she loves it as much as I love mine!

Mary

Laurel said...

Way to go Crazy Mom!

You WILL grow to love your high capacity washer and dryer ... I promise.

I was so excited a couple of years ago when our old hand-me-down pair bit the dust and I got my high capacity. Yeehaw! Yippee! They truly are AMAZING!

We've had our pair for about 4-5 years now ... and they are not one bit "cranky". No problems here.

Enjoy!

mama of 13

G.B. said...

You have a least one FRIEND that can always use a new tablesaw. Please advise when the next "procedure" is.

CrazyD said...

Hey G.B.,

I will be sure to let you know when the next procedure is. I got a feeling buying you a table saw might me cheaper . . .

CrazyD

Kris Long said...

I can assure you that the term "funtioning" washer and dryer is very vague, Crazy D. I have used your "functioning" pair and all I can say is "What took you so long?" =)

erika's funny farm said...

Ha! That is one smart lady. Hope you all love it as much as we love ours. We were shocked at how much it cut our laundry time.