Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Ruination of a Great Hymn

Having just finished the sermon, our pastor stepped down off the stage last Sunday and our music director stepped up to lead the congregation in a closing hymn. We often sing a carefully chosen great hymn of the faith to close our service which provides an opportunity to reflect on what we have just heard.

As the words of “He Leadeth Me” appeared on the screen and the music started, a different set of words flooded my head. These were the words that I had come up with one day after church 15 years ago poking fun at the “burden” of my new wife and the “years of turmoil” that I was now facing. I focused hard on the words on the screen trying to suppress both the counterfeit words and the broad smile that was brewing in me. When I thought I had myself under control, I stole a glance at CrazyMom four kids away. Seeing her losing the battle against a smile as our eyes caught each other caused me to start to lose the war raging on my own face and I quickly turned back to focus on the words of the screen.

I was young and naïve back then. How could I have known that the alternate set of words that I came up with that day would be more prominent in our minds than the real words until this day? Needless to say, the intended effect of the closing hymn was lost on me that day.

6 comments:

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

So are you going to tell us the alternate words....or would they be completely inappropriate as our children would say??

CrazyD said...

"Completely inappropriate" they are not. Yet, it seems best not to share too much of them unless I become responsible for ruining the hymn for others as well!

Pam and Brian said...

You know we all want to know the other version now!

Diane said...

I can only imagine!

robert said...

Well! Serves you right, I guess. There have always been parodies of our hymns around, but you pinpoint the problem with them--apart from their irreverence. They obscure the message of the original, which may be something the Lord wants us to ponder.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)