Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Building a Diffusing Screen - Snow Day Part 2

On Tuesday while we were still at school it was looking pretty likely that there would be a snow day the next day. "What will you do if we have a snow day?" a colleague asked me. "I would go to Home Depot and buy some stuff to build a diffusing screen so I can take better portraits of my kids," I replied. Well, we got our snow day and I hesitated about driving out in the snow, but since I had indicated that I would, I did it. I went out when the roads were probably the worst, but I did get to help push the mail truck up a hill.

Here is the diffusing screen I built using a cloth shower curtain and a few PVC pipes. (The screen goes between the flash and the subject to soften the light.)

I just had time to snap a couple of photos today, but not time to really work with it. As you can see in the photo below, now I need to make a reflector to add a little fill on the shadow side.

6 comments:

nineshoe said...

Beautiful picture! My dad was an amateur photographer, and he had a white spray-painted diffuser he used for portraits. He would have loved the new technology, and we would have *loved* digital cameras.

Mary and Doug said...

Love the pic! I so want to learn to take better photos of my kids too. Can you do some posts just on photography:)? I'm not sure I understand where you position the screen.

Aren't snow days a blast?! I just posted some photos from the day on our blog.

Keep up the great photography!

Laurel said...

Yes, more details would be great! I still have a lot to learn about photographing my little dark beauties side by side with my little white ones.

What type of camera do you have? And flash?

I have an Nikon D70 w/ compact flash.

Laurel

Pajama Mama said...

i agree...a little post or series on photographing children would be wonderful!

Kris Long said...

As if you don't have enough little ones to practice with yourself Crazy D....I have 7 of my own I would gladly loan to you to experiment with your diffuser. Seriously...I could use some good portraits. Name your trade...

Norah said...

The picture is stunning, really.