Friday, July 4, 2008

Tidbits

Here are a few random happenings in our home:

Tidbit 1: When I walked into the bathroom with Anna to help her brush her teeth, I flipped on the light. “No!,” she said as she reached up to turn it back off. I assumed she wanted to turn the light on herself and was going to flip it off and then back on again.

She flipped the light off, walked out of the bathroom, turned around and got herself set for another grand entry. Then she waltzed into the bathroom and flipped on the light. I had clearly ruined the experience so fully the first time that she had to redo the whole scene.

Tidbit 2: A child, who wished not to be named, came to me and said, “I am bored.” I offered a few suggestions of things he/she could do, but none of them seemed to intrigue the child. Then an idea came.

“Hey, Dad! Is there anything I can do that I have to ask to do?”

“Well, what do you want to do that you have to ask to do?”

“I don’t know. I can’t think of what they all are. Can you tell me?”

That was very humorous to me. Our kids can do a whole host of things in our home without asking, but there are a few things that they need permission to do – playing a video game, playing in the rain, working in the workshop, watching a movie, etc. Even though this child could not at the moment think of what those things were, he/she knew the activity would be better than anything I had just suggested because permission was needed to do it.

Tidbit 3: We did something new for our family this year and we designed a family t-shirt. The minimum order was 12 and we only have nine in our family, so we had to order three extra shirts. We made the extra shirts on the larger side of things to accommodate for the future growth of our kids.

Now Miss Bookworm is an extreme “Type A” firstborn child and on the way back from ordering the t-shirts she had an endless supply of questions trying to wrap her mind around the 10 year plan for these shirts.

“What happens when a shirt gets ruined? Do I get a larger shirt and we hand the others down?” “When will we all wear the shirts?” “Why are there three adult small shirts? Will those be for us girls when we get bigger?”

In the end I tried to put her mind at ease. “Listen. We just ordered shirts as something fun for this summer. Let’s enjoy the shirts now and worry about the future when we get there.”

I don’t think it was satisfying.

Tidbit 4: Our cat Patches often picks up and carries things around the house. She is quite proud of herself when she does and will meow until she receives due recognition. The other night, CrazyMom left a full-sized pair of scissors at the top of the stairs and forgot to bring them down when she came. A few minutes later, Patches showed up with the scissors and dropped them by where we were sitting. We were quite impressed.

Tidbit 5: Our schedules have been crazy for awhile and last night after the kids were in bed CrazyMom and I snuggled in on the couch, held hands, and watched . . . a homeschool training video from the “Excellence in Writing” curriculum. Ah, the romantic life of a big homeschooling family.

3 comments:

darci said...

I loved miss bookworm! i could tell she is your oldest..it is so like my oldest daughter. everything MUST be planned and analyzed and figured out-she is EIGHT! :)

sandwichinwi said...

I so loved your oldest Type A story. It is my oldest to a tee!

Cracks me up!

Katie said...

#5 had me laugh out loud and I had to comment to say so.

What did we do when using an offer of family members willing to watch our kids for a weekend? Go to a state homeschooling convention, of course!