Monday, April 14, 2008

What If?

I have been ruminating over the Tough Stuff stories that many of you shared and it has caused me to ask what if -- what if it were my children who were orphaned?

I imagine my 40th birthday party where family and friends have gathered. Some disaster strikes leaving my children orphans and no close loved ones to swoop in and care for them. A social worker leads my children by the hand to a foster home and after a year or so some are adopted by a family here and some are adopted by your family.

How will my children behave in your home? After opening up your home and laying your heart on the line they may bite you, hit you, or scream at you. They may say, “I hate you!” or “You are not my dad!” They may do those things of which you spoke in the tough stuff post.

But after reading your comments, I know that you are ready to rise to the challenge for my children and other children in need. I am deeply moved that whether the journey has been easy or fraught with peril, you have given your all to try to make it though the tough stuff. Then some of you emerge from this phase and turn right back around to go though it again with another adopted child. All of you are amazing.

So on behalf of all of the parents who desperately wish they could care for their children, but due to death, AIDS, poverty, and violence they can not do so, I say thank you. Thank you for going through the tough stuff to redeem these children and make them a part of your family. You have heeded the call to be imitators of Christ, who went through the tough stuff to redeem us and make us a part of His family.

And for those of you who are thinking about adopting, I invite you on a journey to redeem a child. It will possibly be the hardest and most rewarding thing you will ever do.

9 comments:

Owlhaven said...

Thanks for this perspective...

Mary

Jim & Laurel said...

Great thoughts!

Laurel

Anonymous said...

I would love to welcome another child into my house but how do you pay for all the adoption fees. And then have any money left to raise them with.

Mama GG said...

During one of my hardest days when I was really questioning my sanity in regards to adopting, I actually had this thought. Would I want my bio kids to be adopted by someone who was acting/thinking/feeling the way I was? It was a real kick in the pants for me, and made me realize that I needed to get a handle on my negative attitude.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say how much your blog has meant to me. I have three bio. children of my own with wishes for more but have been unable to convince my husband that this is something I feel we should do and step out in our faith. You are truely a remarkable family and I can't wait to see how you all continue to grow.

CrazyD said...

Hi Anonymous #1 - Good question about how to pay for the adoption fees. I will try to write a post with some thoughts on how to pay for adoption fees sometime soon.

Hi Anonymous #2 - Thanks for sharing about your situation. I have been thinking lately about the "reluctant spouse" (OK, OK, it is usually the "reluctant husband") and I have been working on a post about it. It is tough stuff and I have not nailed it yet, but I hope it will come together soon. Keep checking back.

CrazyD

Anonymous said...

okay, since you're working on a post addressing the costs of adoptions..i've had some questions...what are the sleeping arrangements like in your home? what kind of vehicle does your family drive? did you purchase a larger home in expectation of the adoptions? can you address theses costs?
thanks, love the site, by the way...

Melinda said...

Thanks for this great post as well as all your other's. I loved hearing everyone's perspective and their joy's and struggles. Adoption is such a blessing and I am so happy that God called my husband and I to grow our family this way. Adoption is expensive, but whenever God calls us, he gives provision. Sometimes He is just waiting for us to make the first step. We did not have the finances to adopt again, but we stepped out in faith and although we are not sure were all the money will come from, we are confident that God has it all worked out in His timing. Also my husband was the reluctant spouse my advice is pray and if it is truly God's will, He will make it clear and it most likely will not be through you, but through other people, messages, etc.

Anna Maupin said...

Your Tough Stuff post and all the comments have been such a wonderful encouragement! I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a huge encouragement, too, to hear about some of the little things that surprised everyone in a sweet or fun way.

Anna M.