Thursday, January 17, 2008

Vignettes

When I pause to think about what is going on in my life, here are some scenes that come to mind.

New Moms

CrazyMom is on her way out the door to pick up Miss Bookworm from violin. I come down the steps and find that Ed has assumed the role of Master Homemaker. She is standing at the sink peeling potatoes for dinner with Buddy’s spelling list propped up in front of her. She is preparing dinner as she quizzes Buddy on his spelling words. She has learned to multitask from the best and she is in her element.

Anticipating Anna

I come home from work and K.D. comes up to me and takes my hand and leads me to our kitchen table which has eight chairs.

“How much does this chair cost?” he asks.

“Um, I am not sure. Why do you want to know?” I reply.

“We only have eight. I want to buy a chair for Anna!”

I had to break the news to him that he did not have enough allowance money to buy a chair for Anna but that it would be OK. Mom and dad would buy a chair for Anna just like we bought a chair for him and F.G. before they came.

Radiating

When F.G. first got her hair straightened it was a big deal for her. I remember her saying to me, “Look, Dad! I can run my fingers through my hair!” Shortly after that I was sitting in church and the children were up on stage doing something. F.G. was wearing her favorite bright orange denim jacket which looks great on her. I can still clearly recall the picture in my mind of her up on stage. She was radiant.

Joke Telling

I have come to realize that a standard phase kids go through is the joke-telling phase. Buddy has been our most recent child to go through this stage. He reads joke books, tells us jokes, and makes up jokes.

“Hey, Dad! Why don’t seagulls fly over the bay?”

“Um. . . I don’t know Buddy. Why?”
“Because then they would be bagels. What is black and white and red all over?”
“Um. . . I don’t know Buddy. What?”

“A newspaper! What is round on the ends and high in the middle?”

“I think I got this one. A car gets into an accident and the axle gets bent so it is high in the middle but the wheels are round on the end.”

“No, Dad. Ohio!”

I was beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with Buddy, which was a welcome relief but now it appears K.D. is entering the phase. CrazyMom told me that in the car the other day K.D. was telling her jokes.

Snuggling

Little Foot is our snuggler. Now some kids sit on your lap or lean their head against you when you are sitting on the couch or poke you with every pointy elbow they have when they are trying to get situated. Little Foot is not like that. He crawls onto your lap, turns sideways, tilts his head down a little and with a thumb in his mouth, snuggles in. He is a real pro.

Email Relationships

Miss Bookworm now has an email account and because of that we have a new way of communicating with each other. Email is my love language and I think it might be hers as well. It is great to be able to touch base during the day with an email even though I am at work and she is at home. It is almost like one-on-one time.

Just a few vignettes from my life.

No comments: