Sunday, August 19, 2007

Building a Hovercraft

I was standing in my classroom at the end of last school year when I saw some students out on a playground trying to demonstrate a hovercraft that they had made. At that moment I knew I had to make a hovercraft this summer.

Well, I go back to work tomorrow so on Saturday I decided to drop my chore list and spend the day making a hovercraft with the kids. The entire time I had no idea if it would actually work or not so there was suspense right up to the moment when we tried it out.

The only sad thing about the whole event was how many times my kids came up to me and with all sincerity thanked me for making a hovercraft with them. Their gratefulness seemed to testify that I have been working a little too hard this summer on my to-do lists and not hard enough at carving out time with my kids.

That being said, Saturday was a fantastic time-with-Dad day and the fact that the hovercraft worked so well was a real treat. Here are some video clips of the hovercraft in action.







7 comments:

B.E.C.K. said...

What a great family activity! I especially like hearing all the laughter! :-)

Anonymous said...

We were able to meet your 2 precious kids, when we picked up ours in Ethiopia. Your son was so sweet to our son. Will you e-mail me privately, as I have some photos of our kids for your kids to check out? Thanks! jess.stoll@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

what fun! jcn

momma M. said...

Okay that was really cool. Can you please send me step by step instructions on how to build a hover craft? micheleburton1992@yahoo.com

CrazyD said...

Here are the plans that we used:

http://amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html

I followed them pretty much as they are. I did use a heavy duty tarp sold at Home Depot (the brown colored ones).

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Great Stuff, Family Fun!

Anonymous said...

Found your site looking for hovercraft info. Please think of hearing protection for your kids.