Thursday, April 19, 2007

Warning: Don't Forget This Rule!

There is a lot to teach Ethiopian kids when they come into your home. In addition to English they need to learn about bathrooms (how to use a toilet you sit on, what to do with the toilet paper, and what the towel is for), how to use silverware, not to push every button on all the electronic devices in the home, etc.

Then there are all of the safety rules. Wear a seatbelt, wear a helmet, and by golly wear a coat when it is below freezing outside. Think of all of the "don'ts" we have already taught our kids. Don't run in the street or across parking lots. Don't walk off in a store. Scratch that - just don't walk off at all. Don't ride your bike with your eyes closed (still working on this one with F.G.). Don't play rough on the steps (K.D. has tumbled a full flight already).

For all of the rules we have taught our kids, we missed one.

Don't pull fire alarms.

It was crazy hat night at church last night. When my kids and I arrived we were swept into a sea of bobbing hats flowing down the hall. I saw K.D.'s hand go up to the bright red box as he passed by. The white lever must have a universal appeal since K.D. could not read the "PULL ME" words that have tempted countless other children through the ages.

I was two arm lengths behind K.D. Reaching for him was out of the question with at least four big hat heads between us (one of which was our own baseball cap to the right, Old Navy cap to the left, Tigger hat on top concoction). So I yelled instead.

"No!"

I got everyone's immediate attention except K.D.'s. He proceeded to pull the lever down setting off the alarm. I reach the box and tried to put the lever back up to turn off the sirens. Well, you learn something new every day. When you pull a lever, it locks in the down position.

The hallway got packed as all of the hats further ahead turned around and were being shooed back to exit the building while all of the hats behind us continued to be shooed forward since their parents could see that it was a false alarm.

K.D. was standing there with his own cap-cap-cap concoction displaying his large beautiful brown eyes that were, of course, a little larger than usual. His eyes did not display the "I just did something really bad" look, however, since he did not know that he has just done something really bad. It was a more pleasant "Gee, I just caused a lot of excitement and I think I like it" kind of look.

Our quick-minded and handy associate pastor appeared with his oversized key ring. He unlocked the lever, dispatched someone to call off the fire trucks, and proceeded to the main fire panel to silence the alarms.

Then, almost a fast as it had started, it was all over. You just don't know how relieved I was to know that the fire alarm system in our church actually works.

Oh, yeah. When all of the other people cleared out, I gathered K.D. and F.G. around one of those red boxes and taught them one more rule.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like I missed all the fun last night. Hope the rest of the night was better.

Lisa

mom2babybirds said...

Wow! I've had one do that too, only at least it was a Friday morning bible study with Veritas kids there and not a church full of Awana kids.

KelseyChristine said...

hahahaha

Oh my gosh that's hilarious. Your blog makes me so happy :)

Anonymous said...

HI-
My name is AWET-I’m from Eritrea is North to Ethiopia now. Although, It us to be part of Ethiopia. I'm a proud Christian woman in my early 30’s. Never been married and do not have any kids yet.

I found your blog random, while; I was doing a Christian fun thing to do. You have a beautiful family. I like large family because, I came from 6-sibilling.

The game; we call it in Eritrea is Handaie that is a Tigrinya word which is one of the Eritrean tribal language and its Eritrean national languages as well. I saw the video of your daughter when she was playing Handaie. She remained me, when I was a child playing with the rocks among my friends and family members.
Handaie is a traditional game mostly played among girls in the country. It's very important to the kids traditionally. It will teach them how to be discipline, self-control, focused in the game as well as social skilled. Handaie also, it’s a number computation game. It teaches the kids how to count in numbers. Handaie has rules like any other game. The rules are you do not have to drop any rocks from the start one by one to by two goes on thru ten rocks or more amongst the best Handaie players, a cheater (to be faithful) until fully completed the game or the winner of the game.

If you drop one rock you are out of the game from the one by one followed by two by two game the other person will go on, if the second person drop one rock, the
3rd person goes on and the game can go on up to the number of friends. At last the first person with out rock dropping will be the winner of all or the game. I hope this will be helpful if you're looking for or interested in knowing the purpose of the game or the fun for the game. Oh, boy I had a lot's of fun with this game and I remember will I was writing his to you all my friends back home. I’m living in the USA now.
I hope this is helpful to you and your kids.

Thank you!
May God Bless you!!