Friday, March 30, 2007

Test Driving a Family of 11

Today we had over three siblings for the afternoon and evening. Adding three well behaved kids to the mix actually makes things a little easier, not harder. There are some differences, however. When it came time to clean up the yard, I first sent out a message (by both messenger and walkie-talkie) for all kids to rendezvous on the deck for a pre-cleanup meeting.

When we all finally sat down for dinner, my wife and I were lucky enough to be sitting beside each other. (All of the kids wanted to sit by other kids.) My wife leaned over and whispered, "When the Smith family sits down to eat, they have one more kid than this at every meal."

Then it dawned on me. This was not just watching some kids, this was more than that. This was a test drive for a larger family. What is going on??? We have had these kids over many times before and it was always just fun and games. Now my wife is planting seeds in my mind of a larger family when we have been a family of eight for just one month.

It is hard to know what to say to such whispers.


Luckily, I was saved by the bell. Well, not a bell, but the next best thing. F.G. was yelling about the fire on the stove. Evidently when you cook for nine kids you have a lot to think about and putting a plastic strainer on a gas burner is not one of them.

No comments: